The 2019 Conversion Rate Optimization Guide
Page layout and flowEach page has a purpose, something you want the user to do. For those of you who took an art class, you may remember how some paintings can have a directional flow to them that causes your eyes to follow a path or line. Like a painting, a web page needs to be constructed such that the user’s eyes follow an unconscious path which ends at the call-to-action. In most cases, we want the user to go through this process:
- Gain some information and interact with the page.
- Make a decision.
- Take action.
- Does the image peak their attention?
- Does the image connect to the user subconsciously?
- Does the image persuade them and overcome objections?
- Does the image or layout point to the call to action?
Mobile and desktop design considerationsThe user’s experience is affected by the device they are on. Designers are creating a site on a desktop then it is coded and viewed responsively (layout change depending on the device). Because of this, the desktop version may look great and the mobile version is an afterthought or vice versa. When testing, it is important to look at the conversion rate by device, often one device can cancel out the other. In some cases, a mobile only landing page is easier to test than a responsive page, depending on your testing platform. A mobile page is designed to scroll whereas the desktop often is not. This can cause conflicting results and design decisions.
Greg Ahern Founder and President of Ometrics® is a fanatic about conversion rate optimization, AI chatbots and lead generation. Greg has been a successful Internet entrepreneur since 1994. He speaks at conferences and webinars and has built a number of internet businesses, including web marketing, web development and internet lead generation, which have been successfully acquired. Greg is the Denver Chapter Leader for the Digital Analytics Association. You can follow Greg on Twitter @gregahern and join his CRO Hacks Groups on Facebook and Slack.
Latest posts by Greg Ahern (see all)
- How to Build a Shopify Store - November 16, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why Ecommerce Chatbots are Better than Live Chat - November 10, 2020
- 5 Benefits of Conversational E-Commerce Chatbots for Shopify, BigCommerce, Magento, WooCommerce and Others - November 9, 2020