The 2019 Conversion Rate Optimization Guide
Engaging Users with Feedback and SurveysBefore we get into the mechanics of a good landing page, we first have to ask ourselves a few questions:
- What do our visitors want? – Your visitors came to your site for a reason. Do you know what it is and how they got there? We want to satisfy them quickly to make their time well spent.
- What can we give them that would entice them to engage with us? – People will remember you better and feel better if they get something in return from visiting your site. Do you know what you could give them that is free?
- What is our goal? – Your ultimate goal is for the user to buy your services or products, but there are some goals before that outcome, such as getting their email address, contact information and other information that are needed to build a profile.
- What a user is thinking.
- Why they came to the site.
- What they are looking for.
- Where they are stuck.
What to ask and how to ask itIf you were filling up your car at the gas station and the owner came up to ask you why you stopped at his gas station and not the one across the street or next door, how he asks the question has a strong bearing on how you respond. Your response will differ, depending on if the person is abrupt and uncordial or pleasant and honest. When prompting a stranger to provide information online, it is best to be honest and polite and to the point. Asking in a conversational tone will get more submissions than abruptly asking a question or having a question that is long-winded and full of jargon that the users may not understand. Tip: Try asking one question to get to the heart of the matter for a better response such as: “We need your input for our next product which features…,” “We are updating our site. Can you help us…,” or “We need your advice…” Here is a list of questions to start your creative juices flowing. The answers can be text boxes, radio or check boxes. These questions help understand what visitors want:
- How can we improve our site?
- Help us provide what you want in our next product.
- What is more important to you?
- Help us grow! What feature do you want?
- What features would you use the most?
- What is most important to your business?
- Is it better for us to contact you via email, text or Twitter?
- What persuaded you to purchase from us?
- What was most important in your decision to purchase?
- What was the one thing that caused you to almost not buy from us?
- Why did you choose us over our competitors?
- How would you rank these companies regarding ____ (customer service / product features)?
- What other companies or products did you consider before purchasing from us?
- What questions do you need answered before purchasing?
- How did you find us?
- Where did you first learn about us?
- What did you come to our site for?
- What is the biggest obstacle or frustration you had in finding (product / service) online?
Greg Ahern Founder and President of Ometrics® is a fanatic about conversion rate optimization, AI chatbots and lead generation. Greg has been a successful Internet entrepreneur since 1994. He speaks at conferences and webinars and has built a number of internet businesses, including web marketing, web development and internet lead generation, which have been successfully acquired. Greg is the Denver Chapter Leader for the Digital Analytics Association. You can follow Greg on Twitter @gregahern and join his CRO Hacks Groups on Facebook and Slack.