A Review of A/B Testing Tools
There are many A/B testing tools on the market right now. If you are planning to run an A/B test on your website or landing page, it’s often hard to tell which tool will work best for your business.
As experts in conversion rate optimization (CRO), we have used some of the A/B testing tools listed in this review. There are some newer tools on the market that we have not tested yet. Although this is not a full list of tool providers, it is also not a full review of each tool. It is a list of the tools that we recommend and a list of the newer tools available for you to investigate.
- Optimizely is an enterprise-level experimentation platform. It is the most well-known platform in this space due to a lot of VC funding and advertising. At $1,440 per month (paid annually) it is one of the most expensive of A/B testing tools. They also offer a pay-as-you-go pricing model that costs $49 per 1000 unique monthly visitors. The platform supports testing on the web, mobile web and mobile apps.
- VWO (Visual Website Optimizer) is the next most popular A/B testing tool. Their enterprise pricing plan is $999/month (paid annually), and they offer lower-priced plans at $49 and $129 per month (paid annually) for fewer monthly website visitors. It is the top choice for businesses with smaller budgets. You need to double check your tests to make sure the variation you created is what is actually being shown. I always do this outside of their testing system, and I do this with Optimizely as well. VWO offers other CRO tools like heatmaps, but you need to view the data carefully to make sure it is accurate. VWO works across mobile, tablet and desktop websites.
- Convert has received high praise from its users, who tend to be SMB customers. It was the first solid A/B testing tool on the market before Optimizely. Their focus is on being the best in the market for website A/B testing. It is priced between Optimizely and VWO with plans that start at $449/month (paid annually). For medium-sized companies, their pricing is better than VWO. It has an intuitive interface and excellent customer support.
- Google Optimize is an A/B testing tool that connects to Google Analytics. Since you already have all your data in your Google Analytics account. You can’t beat the cost and convenience of this tool since it is free. It allows you to split test up to 10 full versions of a single page, each delivered from a distinct URL. However the goals setting is very cumbersome relying on Google Analytic goals and segments and in some cases would take Tag Manager to setup goals. Hopefully in the future they will build features that take seconds in other tools instead of 10 to 30 minutes. [Update 5-7-17] I asked Google about the goal issue and they said that within a year you will be able to set goals on elements and that next month they will be adding Adwords to Optimize.]
- Omniconvert provides an A/B testing tool for tablet, mobile and desktop. Some of the unique features are ready-to-use overlays, multiple overlay formats, OnPage variables, frequency capping and IP address targeting. Pricing starts at $38/month (paid annually).
- AB Tasty is a tool that tests user re-engagement and it is designed for marketing teams. You can modify pages using a visual editor, so you don’t need a technical background to use it. This is a good tool to start A/B testing if you’ve never done it before and you don’t want to invest a lot of money. Monthly pricing is in British pounds.
- Adobe Target provides a intuitive user interface and works best with sites that already use Adobe Analytics. It is easy to setup and test. Pricing is not available on their website but is around the cost of Optimizely or more.
- Zarget is a new player on the A/B testing scene. They offer a Chrome plugin for A/B testing. Price is $35/month or $360/year.
- SiteSpect is a server-side testing solution and is the #1 choice for more technically savvy users and clients who are sensitive to security. Pricing was not available on the website.
- Sentient Ascend is an AI-powered conversion rate optimization platform. It is a new type of testing tool that uses machine learning algorithms which means the A/B test shows what combinations of your pages gives the best lift. Pricing was not available on the website.
- Oracle Maxymiser provides simple A/B tests all the way up through complex multivariate tests. You can test on any public or secure page with an easy-to-use visual editor. The tool automatically builds a unique customer profile for each online visitor. Pricing was not available on the website.
- Qubit is a testing platform focused on personalization and advanced segmentation. Like most A/B testing tools, it uses multivariate to show which combination of changes are more valuable than the individual changes. Pricing was not available on the website.
- Splitforce has an A/B testing tool for mobile apps, which is more challenging than testing a website or mobile website because apps run locally on mobile devices and don’t access a live internet connection through a browser. Pricing was not available on the website.
- Leanplum offers an integrated A/B testing tool for native mobile apps. Pricing was not available on the website.
- Taplytics is a visual A/B testing tool for native mobile apps and for web pages. Pricing was not available on the website.
- AppTunnel is a mobile A/B testing and feature flags platform for iOS and Android mobile apps. Pricing starts at $79/month.
- Monetate does A/B testing and personalization. Their product is targeted to retailers and e-commerce. Most of their customers are enterprises.
- Kameleoon is a website optimization solution with A/B testing for desktop and mobile. Their platform is devoted to web personalization. They offer a freemium pricing model.
- ChangeAgain.me is a A/B testing tool for websites. It integrates with Google Analytics and has a visual editor to update the visual elements on a website. Pricing starts at $14/month.
- Nelio A/B Testing is a website optimization solution for publishers and marketers using a WordPress site. Users can A/B test any piece of their WordPress site. Pricing starts at $29/month.
- ClickThroo is a landing page marketing solution. They offer an A/B testing tool for both desktop and mobile that has an auto-optimization engine. Pricing starts at $95/month.
- Invesp offers an A/B testing tool called Pii testing optimization engine. The website shows it as a free tool.
- Analytics-toolkit This site has a number to A/B statistics and analytics calculators. I always run my own statistics with tools that I created in Excel to double check results when using A/B tools.
- SiteGainer has a drag-n-drop website editor that loads directly on your website and allows you to A/B test any part of your website.
- TrustRadius collects in-depth user reviews on a variety of A/B testing tools and includes a user ranking for each product. TrustRadius also has a TrustMap comparison tool that allows you to compare products and services based on user satisfaction ratings.
If you have an A/B testing tool that you like and recommend, contact us and we will add it to the list.
Latest posts by Greg Ahern (see all)
- The Chatbot Ecommerce Invasion - August 1, 2018
- How Chatbots Add A Touch Of Humanity & Increase Your Online Sales - July 18, 2018
- How to Build a Chatbot - May 15, 2018